Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Church Blessing in Copenhagen.


On August 9th, Mike and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary.

We went to Copenhagen to spend time with my friends and family, I haven’t seen in a long time. It was wonderful to see them again. Most of them couldn’t be at our wedding last year, so we decided to have a church blessing in Martin’s church. That way, they could be part of it and we would have our wedding registered in Denmark.

It was such a lovely day. A few days earlier, we had met with the priest and we had a lovely talk. I have a special bond with her, because she was the one, who was the priest at Martin’s confirmation and she also and buried Martin a few years later.

It was a warm day and even if rain had been in the forecast, it remained dry.

In a Danish church during a wedding ceremony all you have to say is JA, ( yes) and Mike had spend some time practicing the Danish pronunciation. I didn’t want it to sound German.

The day arrived and I was somewhat nervous, if the dress would still fit. I had at that time already been in Denmark for a week, eating more than I normally would. But I could still close the zipper. I couldn’t breathe or sit down, but that was another issue.

I had my hair and makeup done by my hairdresser. Part of me was upset about the fact, she couldn’t do it on the wedding day last year, so it was only appropriate that she should do it now. It was as if it was a very worthy finish to our relationship, that had lasted many many haircuts and coloring.

We arrived at the church and walked up the isle together.

The priest had written the most wonderful and personal speech and I am grateful for my foresight of bringing kleenex. Even if Mike didn’t understand what was said, he did say JA at the right time, in the right way.

I got the transcript of the speech and I later translated it for Mike.

Afterwards we went to Martins grave.

The priest said a few words and I placed the flowers on his grave. It was a moving moment for me.

We went to my parents apartment in the middle of Copenhagen, where we had a very Danish lunch. It was a big buffet with all my favorite things I can’t get in the US. It was such a nice, calm and relaxing afternoon we spend together with my friends an family.

I am so happy we did it that way, even if I changed my clothes after lunch.

There were people there I hadn’t seen for a very long time and people I wished could have been there the year before at the wedding. But this day made up for it.

However it made going back home to the US much harder, for I knew how many wonderful people I left behind.

But this day was truly blessed.


2 comments:

  1. Anette,I think about you a lot.You are a very special lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice wedding picture....................

    ReplyDelete